Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The notion that started it all

It's not like I've been crunchy all of my life. Far from being crunchy in fact, I've lived a life of excessive consumerism. Piling thousands and thousands of dollars back into the never ending cycle of buy, consume and discard, giving no thought to where it was going or why I actually needed it. It's exhausting really. Too many times to count I got myself in a situation where I had to be bailed out of a financial hole. Why? Because I had purchased too much. Where all that money went, I still don't know. For lack of a better term it was down the drain.

Enter my dear Husband. An immigrant from Taiwan with a much different view on life. Not because he had less. He actually had MORE because he had less. More money to spend on the things that are important in life. Like saving for retirement. Seriously people, you really need to be doing this!  Traveling is important to us as well, and because we made sacrifices, we were able to take some amazing trips. But of course this really isn't about that. It's about the lessons he taught me.
Phuket, Thailand. A photo from our first Trip together.


Long before we ever decided to "Go Green". Long before our daughter was even a hint in our imaginations. My husband began to teach me how to save my money. I saved begrudgingly of course, having always lived a life of instant gratification and indulgence. I know my parents tried to teach me along the way somewhere, but who really listens to their parents anyways.... yeah I didn't. I mean, why not spend a hundred dollars on a shirt I would ask, quality over quantity right? I kept telling myself that as my designer threads unraveled within months. Parents never know what they are talking about....(if you missed the sarcasm here I beg you to stop reading my blog from now on... it's not going to get easier).

Then came our daughter, and of course as most mothers can attest, I no longer wanted to spend money on myself. I wanted to spend it on her. Lots of it. OK, so I'm getting to the point. The point is, I don't work any more. I don't have a lot of money to spend on her. Much less myself. What has become apparent as I have been forced to make decisions as to what I actually want to spend my money on, is that most of it is so temporary I've barely had a chance to use it before it's no longer useful to me, or her.Case in point. Clothing. Have you seen how fast a baby grows. I have boxes full of little baby clothes that were only worn once or twice at the most. Case closed.

 So, my husband in his ultimate wisdom declares that I should just learn to sew and make all of Monkey's clothes. Genius! I did want to learn how to sew. All of those adorable ruffly, girly clothes for pennies on the dollar and a little bit of work. I'm in! Now comes the part where I have to figure out what to do without so I can buy a sewing machine. I'm still working on that. I am learning to knit though, a fairly inexpensive hobby to start. Maybe one day I'll be able to make some of her wool diaper covers instead of spending forty dollars a pop on them. Maybe. Enter the bucket list.... that's the next post.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! Can't wait to see what you do!
    Though I do have to break it to your sewing isn't cheaper then buying kids clothing... Most of the time it can be much more expensive. Even if you purchase fabric from $1-5/yd you still have to buy thread, needles, sometimes patterns and your tools (ie machine,cutting mats, scissors....and many more). I typically spend 2-4 x the amount on made clothing then anything I would ever purchase and that isn't even factoring in for the time it takes you to make it.
    This isn't meant to be a downer comment- just informative : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing clothes is expensive, unless your grandma made you dresses from old flour sacks like mine did. Now that's crunchy!

    ReplyDelete