Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A drop in the bucket

Ahh the Bucket list.  There are so many ways to get started with this list that I find myself at a loss. How should I begin? I could start with the goals that I find most challenging or start listing things that are easier to accomplish and work my way up. I think however, I should start at the beginning. A very good place to start.

Well, at least that's one thing you can learn from watching musicals. Where are we now, and where do we want to be 5, 10, even 15 years from now?

First is what we have already accomplished. We already do what (hopefully) most Americans do. We recycle. If you aren't recycling, for shame. Really people it's not that hard. Put the cardboard/paper/plastic in the little blue bin and send it to the curb with the rest of your garbage.




But that's really nothing to most crunchy mama's. We can definitely do better. Let's start by reducing our waste in general. Here is where the bucket list really starts.

1. Reduce over all waste
This is really a big part of going green and there are many, many subsets of this. More on reducing waste in blogs to come.
2. Grow my own vegetables
3. Raise chickens for eggs and eventually meat
4. Have at least one goat for milk
5. Make my own eco-friendly, non-toxic cleaning supplies
6. Make my own all-natural toiletries
7. Use Re-usable items whenever possible i.e. cloth towels or rags for cleaning instead of paper, swiffer, etc.

As the title suggests, this list could really go on and be divided so many more times, but I think the over all idea here is to get started somewhere. We will probably never become fully sustainable and we won't be giving up our T.V. but hopefully these steps will start taking us in the right direction. In the following blogs I will write about my experiences as I fumble through this journey. I'm sure there will be some amusing foibles along the way. Next up... To cloth, or not to cloth. Diaper, that is.



No comments:

Post a Comment